Meditation and Reiki
“Meditation is the only royal road to the attainment of freedom”, says Swami Sivananda. This freedom is not the freedom from negative thoughts or vibes but liberation from the illnesses of body, mind and soul. In day to day life, we face many physical conditions, the reason to which is mostly in stress, tension, undisciplined food habits, unhealthy life style etc. But in most of the cases the reason is the malaise of mind. Due to fast paced life we loose touch of our own selves, and keep on piling up the baggage of negative emotions, unsolved quarrels, “to do” list or jobs unfinished. In a nut shell, our own desires and aversions become the cause of our miseries.
GUIDELINES FOR MEDITATION
Time: It is always recommended that meditation be practiced daily, twice a day for best results. Beginners are recommended to meditate for about half an hour daily. Later when one gets used to the practice, one hour is ideal. Keep the same time every day for meditation to initiate a conditioned response to the stimuli (i.e. time) to enable the mind to settle down at that particular time.
Environment: The best environment for the practice of meditation is a quiet place with minimum distractions. It sometimes helps to set up a meditating room with special pictures, icons or even burning incense sticks and soothing music in order to infuse the atmosphere with spiritual energy. It is best to sit in a well ventilated room, which receives natural light.
Posture: Meditation is often done with eyes closed, back straight, legs crossed in any meditation pose like sukhasan, siddhasan, padmasan, vajrasan or simply sitting on chair with back straight. Palms rest on the knee facing up with fingers loose or in mudra.
Attitude: The best attitude to follow while practising meditation is that of a receptive observer. Try to observe either the mind or the immediate physical environment, without thinking anything in particular. Watch the mind slowly empty itself out.
Clothing: Prefer loose cotton clothes which allow you to breathe and feel relaxed and comfortable for the free flow of prana or energy.
ELEMENTS OF CONCENTRATION
Prepare the mind for meditation by auto suggestion to calm down for a specific time period & detach from the external world & thought of past/present/future.
Consciously regulate the breath: Start with abdominal breath/thoracic or deep yogic breath.
Do not force the mind to be Still: Allow the mind to wander initially so that after sometime it eventually settles down tired of jumping from one thought to another. If the mind persists wandering simply disassociate from it, and watch it, objectively as though you were watching a movie. It will gradually slow down.
Select a focal point: It is always advisable to keep the same focal point for same time before changing it. An emotional person should choose the heart plexus or anahat chakra and an intellectual person should choose the brow chakra or ajna chakra for meditation. For spiritual upliftment use sahstrath chakra.
• One may continue the chanting of mantra (japa) externally or internally at a continuous rhythm.
• Begin the practice with 15 minutes and gradually extend it to 45 minutes or 1 hour.
• Meditation is an effortless movement of the mind and this should be done without straining or stressing the body or mind.
• It does not matter how many times the mind wonders, what matters is how many times you were conscious about it & how you again bring it back to the object.
Makes breathing easier by releasing the congestion of lungs as one focuses on the breath regularly, and thereby increasing the lung capacity. It also lowers the amount of oxygen consumption. Studies show that when people with respiratory conditions learn breath meditation, they have fewer respiratory crises.
• Acts as a remedial and preventive measure for hyper tension and hypotension.
• Prolonging of delaying the aging process and maintaining glowing youth. Brings lots of lusture to the face and skin. Only two factors have been scientifically determined to actually extend life: caloric restriction and lowering of the body’s core temperature. Meditation has been shown to lower core body temperature.
• Relaxes muscle tension and tension headaches. Anxiety decreases the threshold for pain and pain causes anxiety. The result is a vicious cycle. Compared with people who feel relaxed those under stress experience pain more intensely and become even more stressed, which aggravates their pain. Meditation breaks this cycle.
• Helps deal with pre-menstrual syndrome in women and also aids post operative healing or post accidental healing.
• Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, and Insomnia get cured with regular stress reduction.
• Enhances the immune system.
Stress reduction: Feelings of calm or peace and satisfaction. More strength to fight the malaise of the mind like fear, phobias, stress, anxiety, depression etc. Less irritability and mood swings. Research has shown that hormones and other biochemical compounds in the blood indicative of stress tend to decrease during meditation. These changes also stabilize over time so that a person is actually less stressed biochemically during daily activity. This reduction of stress translates directly into a reduction of anxiety and tension.
Intellectual development: Increase in the focusing ability, memory, and creativity and even sensitivity of five senses.
Relationships: More understanding of self and others thereby helps in improving relationships. An increase in patience, compassion, will power, friendliness to all and other virtues and morals or the understanding of them. It also encourages emotional stability. Makes our reactions constructive to face the challenges of day to day life.
Spiritual Upliftment: Experience of spiritual phenomena such as kundalini, chakras, travel to astral world and attainment of siddhis. Realization of temptation, theft, negative thought and emotions.
Reiki believs that there is an inexhaustible, universal “life force” spiritual energy, that can be used to induce a healing effect. The belief is that the energy will flow through the practitioner’s hands whenever the hands are placed on, or held near a potential recipient, who can be clothed.
Level 1: Teaches the basic theories and procedures. It is a kind of touch therapy.
Level 2: It further increases the capacity for Reiki and empowers symbols. It is a kind of distant therapy.
Level 3a: It is the advanced practitioner level. It increases the Reiki energy vibration many times that of Reiki 2. Reiki 3A assists in removing physical, emotional and mental blockages, bringing greater balance and harmony to all aspects of life.
Level 3b: It is the Reiki Master Degree you will be taught how to attune others to this beautiful Divine energy. Here Master symbol is given. After this level, one becomes Reiki master & then may start training for Level-1 & level-2.
Reiki Grandmaster: This level is meant for those looking for creating more Reiki Masters and Grandmasters. Reiki is a powerful path of Spiritual Unfoldment and the experience of passing on this gift to another is something truly magical, humbling and awe inspiring. It is a sacred act and a great blessing.
- Boosts and improves immune system..
- Increases your energy levels.
- Improves your confidence level and self esteem.
- Stress reduction.
- A complementary therapy as an add-on to conventional therapies.
- Improves chronic and acute medical problems.
- Enhances creativity.